Theremidi Orchestra (TO) wants to learn how to make gadgets on their own, to move far away from existing interfaces and images. In a time of television user packages, it brings obsolete antennas back to life. The radio frequency is still out there, and sometimes the orchestra gets lucky and catches a glimpse of its scratchy hum. TO are absolutely fascinated by the development of the newest gadgets, not for their intended purpose, but to explore their potential to produce the humming, glissandos and squeaks of the theremin and electromagnetic pulses. DIY theremins are unpredictable and basic. Nevertheless, they offer a multitude of sounds if they are connected to the most unexpected antennas, from conductive ink to umbrellas, wire ducklings, air tubes, flowers, and scrap metal. TO is combined by participants of TEREMINI in TEREMIDI physical interface workshop, which took place on Ljudmila in May 2011, under the mentorship of Borut Savski, who after a while also joined the Orchestra.
TO are generating sounds and images live with the help of theremidi interfaces and are connected to open-source technologies and free-software.
Curently active members of the Theremidi orchestra are: Dušan Zidar, Ida Hiršenfelder, Dare Pejić, Luka Frelih, Tina Dolinšek, Robertina Šebjanič, Tilen Sepič, Simon Bergoč, Saša Spačal.
The Theremini Orchestra all stars: Ida Hiršenfelder, Dare Pejić, Tina Dolinšek, Borut Savski, Robertina Šebjanič, Isac Petruzzi, Saša Spačal, Matic Urbanija, Dušan Zidar, Ian Soroka, Luka Frelih, Tilen Sepič, Simon Bergoč. Theremidi Orchestra released début double EP 4011 under Trivia Records in March 2013. Buy or download it free here.
[list of workshops]
- May 17th 2014 // Theremidi Orchestra stand at Trieste Mini Maker Faire // Trieste, Italy
- Workshop at Werkstadt am Hauptplatz, Linz, Austria // December 18th 2013 // from 4 – 8pm
- Workshop and live practice // Pop-up dom, Tobačna 5, Ljubljana // December 12th 2013 // from 5 – 8pm
- Theremidi Orchestra + Cirkulacija 2 + BioTehna on Sajeta Festival // Technological-bio-hack-DIY-workshops // Sotočje, Tolmin, Slovenia // 30th July – 4th August 2013
- Workshop on Spring Break festival at Sub, Graz, Austria // 31st May 2013
- Technology Workshop on Sajeta 2012, with Cirkulacija 2 // 24th till 29th July 2012.
- Make a Theremidi Orchestra on Slobodni festival (Free festival 6), mentors Borut Savski and TO // 8th July 2012
- Small electronics noise gadgets workshop in Linz – Make a Theremidi Orchestra, mentors Borut Savski and TO // 25th May 2012
- TouchTone Workshop: live performance touch sound synthesizer, mentors Borut Savski and TO. As a part of exhibition Real Time Settings for Ner[d/v]es and with cooperation of Gallery ŠKUC. // 18th April 2012
- Teremini Workshop and Theremidi Orchestra in Zagreb, mentors Borut Savski and TO. Organised by Media Lab I’MM_, Zagreb (HR) // 16th and 17th December 2011
- TEREMINI in TEREMIDI physical interface, mentor Borut Savski – birth of Theremidi Orchestra // 15th till 17th June 2011